Wednesday 28 January 2009


The South West LGBT Greens

____________________________________________________________________

With the launch of the new group just five days away the work continues, But todays blogging session is being used to highlight something that really makes me angry, In fact it makes my blood boil and that pardon the pun is the lgbt blood ban, Its morally indefensible and extremely misguided. I have noticed over recent weeks a number of broadcasts on radio and TV telling me to do something "amazing", "Give Blood" but being a homosexual I am discriminated against.

Recently I wrote to the national blood service asking them to justify why the ban is in place, I have taken quotes from the reply letter to highlight their institutional bigotry.

In the letter they reply to me by saying:

  • I am sorry you feel that our policy of not allowing men who have had sex with men to donate blood is unfair and homophobic.
The letter goes on to say that -

  • The NBS (National Blood Service) Statement describes which shows that completely removing the ban would result in a five fold increase in the risk of HIV infected blood entering the blood supply,
My answer is they test the blood even before they take the donation anyway so how difficult can it be to drop the indefensible ban, It further justifies the need for such groups as the lgbt greens as this kind of bigotry exists and in direct relation to the aims and policies of the group there is still work to do on this issue.
____________________________________________________________________
Right that's the rant out of the way, Anyway as I said with five days to go until the group is unveiled and launched the work goes on, I will be formally announcing my launch strategy to my local party tomorrow night in a speech that highlights why we need this group, A couple of weeks ago around the time of the new president Barrack Obama's inauguration MP's were told to be bold. Although I am not an MP (Maybe one day) I am going to be as bold as possible. We still face challenges every day and its small things like the NBS and the NHS and other public service providers that are the challenge.

I ask the lgbt community of the South West to come out at your pride events, and send a message to these providers and others that no matter how much they try to deny us our rights we will fight them,

"Be bold, proud and out"





Blog run and managed by R-Cleminson (SW LGBT Greens Manager)
E-mail swlgbtgreens@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment